Wednesday 12 June 2013

Blyth to Seaton Sluice

I had a peddle up to Blyth fron North Shields yesterday with the intention of finding and photographing stonechat. The ride started out in bright sunshine but clouded over as I headed north along the wagon way via Holywell Pond. First bird of note was a marsh harrier just north of the pond. It's fantastic to be able to regularly see these beautiful raptors locally these days.
I headed up the coastal road past The Astley Arms, up to the first roundabout then headed south along the coastal path. I didn't take long to find a family party of stonechats about halfway down the path. The female flew closer towards me while the male shepherded the youngsters away to cover. I managed a couple of shots of the famale and a distant record shot of the male before it started raining.
Other birds seen were meadow pipit, skylark, linnet, yellowhammer and lapwing.
Canny marning and 18 miles covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment